The national workshop on "Strengthening teaching and learning of current immunisation practices within pre-service curricula of health professionals in South Africa" was organised by the South African Vaccination and Immunisation Centre (SAVIC)/University of Limpopo and NESI/University of Antwerp, and was hosted in collaboration with the South African National Department of Health and WHO/AFRO, on 28-29 November 2012 in Johannesburg, South Africa.
This workshop was a follow-up of a meeting entitled "SAVIC Nursing Immunisation Curriculum Review and Update Workshop", which was held at the Vanderbijl Park, Gauteng Province, in April 2007.
In 2011, South Africa was one of the nine countries that participated in the evaluation conducted by WHO/AFRO and NESI to assess the status of the introduction of immunisation curriculum in training institutions of the African Region and its impact on the quality of training of medical and nursing school students. The results of this evaluation were shared and discussed during this workshop.
The strategic objective of the workshop was to strengthen the teaching and learning of current immunisation practices within the existing curriculum for basic (pre-service) education programmes for doctors, nurses/midwives and other health professionals. Specifically, the workshop aimed to facilitate country-wide implementation of WHO EPI prototype curricula into pre-service training institutions in South Africa.
The meeting was attended by over 60 participants from the following organisations/institutions:
- WHO/AFRO, Representative from the Flemish Government, Representative from Ghana Ministry of Health, South African National Department of Health, Provincial Department of Health from Gauteng;
- University of Limpopo (Medunsa and Turfloop Campuses), NESI/University of Antwerp;
- Other South African universities: Pretoria, University of South Africa, Cape Town (UCT), Tshwane University of Technology, Free State, Stellenbosch, North West, Cape Peninsula University of Technology, Western Cape, Witwatersrand, Fort Hare, Nelson Mandela Metropolitan University;
- Nursing Colleges: Limpopo Nursing College, Western Cape College of Nursing, Kwa-Zulu Natal College of Nursing - RK Khan Campus and Nginelezana Campus, Mpumalanga College of Nursing, SG Lourens Nursing College and Ann Latsky Nursing Colleges in Gauteng, South African Military Health Services Nursing College;
- South African National Defense Force, South African Military Health Services;
- GlaxoSmithKline, Pfizer, Sanofi Pasteur.