The South African Vaccination and Immunisation Centre (SAVIC), based at Sefako Makgatho Health Sciences University (SMU), South Africa, functions as focal office for the Southern African Region since January 2012.
SAVIC and NESI share a common goal of improving the quality and sustainability of immunisation programmes, through education and training; and have a long working relationship spanning over more than 12 years. SAVIC was established at the Medical University of Southern Africa (now called Sefako Makgatho Health Sciences University) in 2003. It is a network of partners in the field of vaccination and immunisation. SAVIC is a Public Private Academic alliance between the South African Department of Health, Vaccine Industry, Academic institutions and other stakeholders. SAVIC activities are undertaken in close collaboration with the South African National Department of Health, NESI/University of Antwerp, WHO and other partners.
The strategic operational areas of SAVIC include Education and Training, Operational Research and Technical Support and Advocacy.
Joint SAVIC-NESI activities:
- Participation in the TropEd Advanced Vaccinology Course in Berlin, Germany, from 13-22 January 2015.
- Co-organiser and presenter at Symposium and Stakeholders Meeting on "Improving skills and institutional capacity to strengthen country adolescent immunisation programmes and health systems in the African Region", 24-25 March 2015, Pretoria, South Africa.
- Co-organiser and presenter at workshop on "Implementing HPV vaccination in Africa: opportunities for strengthening adolescent health", 5-7 October 2015, Johannesburg, South Africa.
- Two poster presentations during "30th International Papillomavirus Conference", 17-21 September 2015, Lisbon, Portugal.
- SAVIC hosted and supervised a Master student from the University of Antwerp, Charlotte van den Broek. Master thesis: Expanded programme on immunisation: coverage, timeliness of vaccine doses, and reasons for not vaccinating 12-23 month old children in Refilwe township, Gauteng, South Africa.
Joint proposal writing:
- During 2015, SAVIC and NESI have successfully written a joint proposal "Strengthening HPV vaccination and adolescent health programmes in Africa ".
- NESI is also collaborating with SAVIC in a project on "Anti-vaccination lobbying in South Africa".